Monday, January 17, 2011

First Post of the New Year

Been fighting bronchitis and haven't posted since the end of last year. Finally getting around to it now. I'm not one of those that makes resolutions for the new year to start life off right. I believe that if it is something that is important to you, you'll do it all the time.

This past year has been a tough one and I'm glad to put it in the books. The high point was welcoming our newest daughter into the world and the low point was having to personally resuscitate her on two different occasions in the middle of the night (as well as on the way to the hospital in the car)....after she came home from being in the Neonatal ICU for over a month. Chalk up two extra overnight visits to the hospital. Bonus.

Trying times really bring out the best in family and friends. They band together and support you and help out any way they can. We are truly blessed and thankful for all of them. While we couldn't have visitors because of the youngster's health issues it didn't stop some great people from just dropping off a meal for us fully knowing we couldn't invite them inside to visit. Those meals made a world of difference especially when we were averaging 2 hours of sleep a night for months on end. Apologies to those that were offended in any way thinking we didn't want them to come over...MD's orders.....plus we just didn't want to end up back at the hospital again.

During this entire ordeal were some final design projects that were due. I remember after the emergency c-section (breach, cord wrapped around her neck, and add in a little placenta previa for good measure) and making sure the wife was okay late into the night I would come home, pick up the oldest from the grandparents, put her to bed and then work on designing until the sun came back up. Then I would shower and head back to the hospital. No sleep. I still turned all projects in prior to the due date and time. While I explained my situation to all those involved with my projects and they were all understanding. Except for one instructor who had zero sympathy or understanding. It troubled me to remember that not everyone believes that their family should come first.

2010 was another year where people would again take advantage of my kindness. I always try to help my friends out but sometime there are those that are out there for personal gain who pose as your friend. Even during my busiest times I helped out with various projects only to find that if it isn't on a contract, you're pretty much screwed. Lesson learned yet again. Oh well, I guess I just have to HTFU in other areas of life.

The whole Facebook, Twitter, online social networking will yet again dominate this year and change the way people interact. While I am on there every now and again, I still like to call my friends or talk to them face to face. Bear and I were contemplating the issue and we came to the conclusion that you would have nothing to talk about to a friend if you knew all their status updates.

Soon there will be some changes on the horizon. I'll be launching my coaching business soon and continue working on future design projects. Perhaps a little two planking and two wheeled action are in order as well. One thing is for sure...I don't need some milestone every year to motivate me to create change.

Checking out for now

No comments:

Post a Comment