Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stage One: Time Trial

Bear, Nick, and I headed down South to hit up the Folsom Cyclebration mtb stage race. It's always nice to have to sit in the car for a few hours to get the legs nice and stiff. First up was a time trial that was a mixture of singletrack and bike path. We registered and headed out to check out the course a bit before attempting to go full tilt (or some variation of full tilt) on it. There was a fun section called the rabbit hole that was steep, loose, and off camber that could cut a good chunk of time off. We saw Paul and Jordan from the Owen's team and it was good to have some faces that we recognized from our hometown.

Nick preps his steed
It was fairly warm
Racers took off in 30 second intervals. I was the first of us to go and as I took off Bear was riding along the course on the bike path cheering. Could have sworn that he was sitting up going faster than me sprinting off!


Traction was a bit sketchy as it was dry DG. I kept blowing corners and having to sprint back to get my speed. After a while I just slowed down and kept spinning so I wouldn't over shoot anymore turns. I hit the rabbit hole a little hot and stuck the high line.....barely. The rest of the course was spent just spinning to keep the speed relatively good. Finally I made it to a section that I recognized and knew the finish was just a little further. I did what I could and crossed the line finishing 6th for the day in Cat 1.

Nick was next to finish from our trio and he came across the line taking 1st for the Junior Cat 1 class. We spun around and hung out in the shade to wait for Jason to start and finish. He came across the line to finish in 2nd place (in Cat 2) by one second.

Nick, Jordan, Paul, Bonnie, and Michelle after the TT
It was a long day and results drug out a bit. We hit up some take out Mex right by the finish and it was a good call because awards were delayed after some protests. After Bear and Nick got their awards we headed back to the hotel to go for a swim and relax for the night.

Looks like someone opened me up a pizza place

Pool bound

The water was refreshing

Nick and Bear practice synchronized swimming

The glow of In n' Out was calling

Watching action movies

Room was packed full of gear

No comments:

Post a Comment