Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It's been Downhill

Ever since I turned 30 it's been downhill.....my eyes don't focus as well, the ol' back is sore in the morning, the fear of having to change the chamois in my shorts to some type of adult diaper, and so on and so forth. Regardless when I get on the bike things get better....well almost.

I've had some weird injuries over the past five years that have given me aches and pain. One of the stupidest ones was where I pulled off the trail and my bike to let a couple and their socially untrained full grown rot and two other large dogs by (unleashed of course on BLM land). They stopped and talked with me and then their rot attacks me. Then they told the authorities that I provoked the dog because I rode by them really fast and their dog chased me down and caught me. The wounds and my GPS data say otherwise. After their dog attacked me they kept saying "I'm so sorry, our dog isn't socialized and used to being around people! He's like a big nice house cat!" It was difficult to believe that statement while lying on the ground bleeding. Once I got to the ER they said a couple of millimeters over and the dog would have gotten my popliteal artery and I probably would have bled out...plus I had to ride out of the area one legged and hop up the hills leaning on my bike.

A hip injury was the biggest concern. It turns out that part of my rectus abdominus tore off from my pelvis. MD said he could fix it but there was a 60% chance of not returning to the sport. He said that it was really good that I could still ride even though I can no longer ride 100% like I used to. Good news is that there is no joint damage happening.

So I've gone on long enough.

Bottom line is that cycling hurts at times no matter how good of shape you are in. It's a bond all cyclist share. We thrive and deny pains because riding on two wheels is one of the best things to do in life.

1 comment:

  1. Love that picture man... the hair sticking through the helmet vents is the best though!

    ReplyDelete