Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sleep Less Ride More

Minimal sleep continues and I've gotten out twice in the past week. It's getting out of hand.....I'm sleeping less than I am riding. Last night I got in 1-1/2 hours of sleep but got out for almost a 2 hour ride with one of the athletes I am coaching.


That would be AM this morning when I rolled out of bed to eat and get ready. Brandon joined me today and I think it's really neat that his parent's support his decision to race bicycles. His mom drove him over early (he's only 15). We took off on the dirt.


The moon was still out but it was quiet. It's been hot here lately and was still about 80 degrees when we left. Brandon has a lot of dedication to the sport and absolutely loves to ride. He hammered his intervals out at 5 AM and was done in time to watch the sunrise.




On the descent home we had a really close call. A truck was flying up the fire road climb we were descending. Luckily we had just stopped to adjust the rear shock on Brandon's bike or we would have been going faster than we were. We started coasting down the hill and the truck came flying around a blind corner and didn't even see us. Brandon went right and I went left. The truck slammed on his brakes and was skidding up the 10 percent grade hill past us. We barely got by and it was a lot closer than we cared for. The truck finally skidded to a stop and stayed in place for a while. We rode off glad to be unharmed. Normally this fire road is closed but the gate was open today for whatever reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment