Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What a Blur

It's been a crazy few weeks and at times I had no idea what day it was. It all began last month. I had three design presentations coming up (working on a degree in ID) and was putting in some long hours on the computer. 5 AM  to 11PM for several weeks on end. Plus working and my wife was due July 1st but something wasn't right one morning. Before I knew it I had been laid off from work and my wife was being rushed to the hospital. By the time we reached the hospital my wife was in labor and her contractions were a minute apart. Problem was she still had seven weeks to go. The doctor tried everything to prevent her from her labor progressing but it didn't work. The baby was breach and the cord was wrapped around her leg causing the premature labor to begin. Within an hour our second daughter was born via emergency c-section. Our daughter's first seven weeks of life would be in the hospital in NICU.

Between running back and forth from home to hospital and taking care of the other little one, I worked on my design presentations. Got them done and submitted prior to the deadlines. For over a week I was running on less than an hour of sleep attempting to complete everything. Things are slowly improving. A week later the wife came home but it is really difficult leaving your child at the hospital instead of taking her home. My days have been full of driving back and forth to the hospital three to four times a day. It became routine and as my wife felt better she told me to go ride my bike (she is super rad). I got out a couple of times but my legs did not want to cooperate. No matter, it was nice getting out. Also took daughter #1 on some trails with the trailer (She loves to go fast on dirt).


Also rocked the pink gloves for my girls. The youngest has been doing really well and the NICU nurses said it was rare that a preemie that age does not need a ventilator or O2. Someone said she probably got some of her daddy's lungs. Perhaps but I'm just glad to have all my girls at home finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment